Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Motivation

My husband has often asks me “Why do you work so hard at a place that pays so little?” Motivation by Shah and Shah offered many theories on what drives individuals in the workplace. Elton Mayo made contributions to the article stating three influences on a company's environment that effect employee motivation. Mayo’s point that employees are not merely focused on pay as a form of motivation is very accurate.

Elton Mayo realized pay is not the only workplace motivator. Pay does not factor into my motivation at my job. The amount I am paid is the same as in my past three places I have been employed. The work required is almost double in the same time frames as past jobs. Clearly, if money were the only factor I would be in a position that required the least amount of work. There is no monetary equivalent for what I have experienced at work. Pay is a minor factor when the work itself is fulfilling

Shah, K and Shah P.(n.d.)Motivation. Retrieved October 10, 2008, from
http://www.laynetworks.com/Motivation.html.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Good for you for finding fulfillment in your work. I am the perfect example to illustrate that the cash won't buy happiness. I've climbed that ladder and it's lonely up here. The fact that I am completely the MCM program knowing that I will take an enormous pay cut when I start my new career....well, doesn't that show that the cash isn't a motivator? I always tell young people not to buy anything expensive until they are 30. Don't buy a big house or cars and certainly don't have children (the most expensive of all) until at least 30. Figure who you are and if you like your career. If you don't then you have time to change it before you are stuck.

Once you earn a high wage, you'll buy expensive things and go on expensive trips. It's hard to ignore that lifestyle once you have it. Good for you for sticking to your instincts. If you love your work, you're a minority.

Isn't it great to be different?

Charise said...

I admire people who work in low paying fields because they absolutely love the work. I don't have anything I'm so into that I'd be willing to get paid so little to do it for a career. So instead I have a boring job that pays me fairly well.

And Emily, I agree - once you get used to a certain lifestyle, it becomes less desireable to step back from it. I'm guilty of that!

Liz Highley said...

Rachel, I really appreciate your blog! I am trying to get away from that mindset of expecting a raise or feeling unsatisfied if I don't get as big a bonus as I expected. I remind myself to stop focusing on the money, and more on the fact that I really do enjoy my job.